We are Smith Security Ltd (Company Number 8741488) (“we”, “us”, “our” or “Smith Security Ltd”). Our registered office is at 187a St Nicholas Drive, Grimsby, South Humberside, DN37 9RE.
We are committed to safeguarding your privacy. This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we hold about you will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Smith Security Ltd is a “Data Controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. We are required under data protection legislation to notify you of the information contained in this privacy notice.
This notice applies to all Customers who have had a security system installed by us.
What information do we collect?
“Personal Information” is information through which a natural person is identifiable or may be identified. Smith Security UK Ltd may collect, use and process your Personal Information in order to provide you with services, products or information that you request.
The collection of information will be transparent to you, and you will have the opportunity to decide whether or not to provide it. If you choose not to provide any of the Personal Information requested, Smith Security UK Ltd may be unable to complete your transaction, or provide the information, services or products you have requested.
Smith Security UK Ltd may collect the following information about you:
- your name,
- your contact details: postal address including billing and installation addresses, telephone numbers (including mobile numbers) and e-mail address;
- purchases and orders made by you;
- Your key holders names and contact numbers along with password identification code. (Applicable to monitored systems only).
- your correspondence and communication preference with Smith Security UK Ltd
This list is not exhaustive and, in specific instances, we may need to collect additional data for the purposes set out in this Policy.
The above personal data is collected directly, for example when you request a quotation or takeover.
How do we use your personal data?
Our purpose in collecting this information is to provide customized services and content relevant to your specific needs and interests.
Smith Security UK Ltd uses your personal data:
- to provide goods and services to you;
- to administer any contracts that you hold with us;
- for crime and fraud prevention, detection and related purposes;
- where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute).
We may also use aggregate information and statistics for the purposes of monitoring website usage in order to help us to develop our website and our services. We may also provide such aggregate information to third parties. These statistics will not include information that can be used to identify you.
Disclosing your personal data to others
In order to make certain services available to you, we may need to share your personal data with some of our service partners.
These include alarm monitoring stations (ARCS) & Police authorities.
Smith Security UK Ltd only allows its service providers to handle your personal data when we have confirmed that they apply appropriate data protection and security controls.
Aside from our service providers, we will not disclose your personal data to any third party, except as set out below.
We will never sell or rent our customer data to other organisations for marketing purposes.
We may share your data with:
Authorising bodies such as SSAIB. As an SSAIB approved company; we are required to share your data to achieve certification of compliance and issue of certificates
Manufacturers to register products installed at your premises.
Governmental bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies, courts/tribunals and insurers where we are required to do so: –
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to exercise our legal rights (for example in court cases);
- for the prevention, detection, investigation of crime or prosecution of offenders; and
- for the protection of our employees and customers.
We will not transfer information you provide to countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
Where we store your personal data
We store all of your personal details on a secure server within the European Economic Area.
How long do we keep your personal data for?
We only keep your personal data for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data – and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means – and the applicable legal requirements.
How secure is my data?
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please write to us at Smith Security UK Ltd, Unit 23 Nottingham Court, Nottingham Road, Fairfield Industrial Estate, Louth, LN11 0WP or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org. You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
Your right to complain
If you have any problems with the way that we are handling your personal data, you should contact the Information Commissioner’s Officer (“ICO”). The ICO can be contacted by telephone on 0303 123 113, Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm, or by email on email@example.com.
You can visit the ICO’s website by following this link https://ico.org.uk/.
The data controller responsible for your personal data is Smith Security UK Ltd (Company Number 8741488) our data protection registration number is A8417373. If you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact Smith Security UK Ltd on 01507 608645